24fans.com Forums

international fansite dedicated to the TV show '24'

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-27 12:34:35

J_A
Administrator
Website

7x15 Discussion & my personal speculation on the season's ending

well, I'll leave the opening of the actual discussion of the episode to someone else, or to myself later, but here's my theory as to how the season could end, taking into account the information given to us by kiefer in a recent interview, and that given to us by carlos in his interviews, and based on how this episode ends. spoilers ahead? I don't know if it's a spoiler as such since everything is just a theory of mine, maybe there is one casting spoiler if you didn't know about her return. anyway, here's my train of thought:

First of all, let me say that at first I thought that Jack wouldn't be infected, and I think that's still a possibility. I mean, if this is a weaponized strain of a virus or some other kind of bioagent for which there's no antidote, then surely the container that broke in the truck could only have been liquid nitrogen and the CDC wouldn't find a trace of any biological agents on jack, once they arrive.

But then, I realized that if infected a with a weaponized form of any agent, Jack would have only hours to live and the season ends in ten hours, so actually infecting him would work perfectly, because in addition to trying to stop the threat and find tony, jack would also have to try the hypothetical one and only scientist who could help him! suppose that that scientist is the only one in possession of the antidote - then hodges would be after him, trying to neutralize him before jack gets to him, and to jack, the clock would be ticking away in his body, his condition worsening with each hour that passed, which makes for a dramatic situation for jack to be in, while yet again trying to save the country.

Now this is where Tony comes into the mix. His situation at the end of episode 15 is clear. He's just been captured and is on route to hodges. I think it's safe to say he'll arrive there (and we know from carlos interviews that he did have scenes with john voight). I also think it's safe to assume he won't be terribly tortured, because this season is very mild on torture. I'm guessing he'll be beaten up, roughed up a little, and then receive his death sentence. I'm guessing that when his bioweapon arrives, hodges will infect tony with it, sort of as a guinea pig and also, to make sure that if tony were to escape, he'll die anyway. I'm hurting at the thought even as writing this, and I've already written it about three times before this... But unfortunately I can totally see the season going there. And I'll tell you why.

1) In a recent interview, kiefer has promised us a dramatic ending to the season. I quote:

"The most I can tell you about it is that it’s not going to end because someone cuts two wires and the clock on the bomb stops. It is going to end with some of the characters going through a very difficult emotional dilemma which will be much more dramatic than a big action sequence. I believe that it’s the most powerful important ending that we’ve ever had to a season."

2) The casting spoiler I've mentioned earlier: Elisha Cuthbert, a.k.a. Kim Bauer is returning. She isn't here yet. And the only reason I can see her coming back is to add more drama for Jack. How she comes into the picture is irrelevant. Hodges might kidnap her to make jack back off, or she might get caught up in the story in whichever other ways. the important bit is that she'll likely stay true to herself and get herself into a situation that jack has to get her out of.

And finally, putting together all the evidence and the speculations given above, by the end of the season we could find ourselves in a situation where both jack and tony are infected (whether they've teamed up again or not doesn't matter for this argument), and kim is still being held hostage. what if for whatever reason there were one, only one antidote for this weaponized bioagent available for whatever reason? both jack and tony are in need of it, but jack's daughter is still out there, and he needs to save her, whereas tony has already lost everything he's ever cared about and has a trial hanging over his head if the government catches him? I can see Jack in visible pain over the decision he has to make, and tony just calmly whispering to him, his strength slowly leaving him,

"It's okay, Jack. Go save your daughter."

And, understanding everything tony implies, jack injects himself with the antidote and goes after kim, leaving tony behind to die. he could save kim and even return to tony, but by the time he does, tony is dead. jack loses tony again, but this time there's no ctu and no one who could bring him back from the dead.

now if kim, despite jack's saving her, doesn't react the way she's expected to, and just tells jack to just forget that she even exists, cause she's sick and tired of all this, there's your double personal drama right there. jack would have died instead of bill, he would have died instead of tony, but he survived both, just to be rejected by kim yet again, and he breaks down with all that crushing him, and personally, I wouldn't mind the season ending with him holding a gun to his head and contemplating pulling the trigger.

Silent clock.

Over and out.

yes, admittedly, that last kim rejecting jack bit is a bit overly melodramatic, and doesn't necessarily need to happen, but I can totally see everything else happening just as speculated.

thoughts?

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#2 2009-03-31 21:47:52

hardy24
Administrator
Website

Re: 7x15 Discussion & my personal speculation on the season's ending

What you predict is all to plausible. I'm thinking that clearly the season seems to be depending some kind of sacrifice, I do hate to put it that way. But i'm not talking about a return to the bad old days when the writers got itching trigger fingers if they hadn't killed someone off in 3 episodes. I'm talking about the storyline requiring a major emotional and dramatic moment in order to end the way i'm sure we all feel the most adult (on the whole) season arc in years should end.

I know i'm keep saying this, I must sound really repetitive, but I do believe it could be the other way around... imagine a scenario which plays out roughly as outlined except Tony isn't infected.

Jack is infected, and in a moment where all hope seems lost and Jack makes the phone call he'd planned when he asked the chinese for one call at the end of season 5. Kim is shocked at hearing from Jack, but still can't cope with anything relating to her father, the list of charges she has against him is just to long.

Jack is left to think, his daughter shivers at the mention of his name, his government is determined to see him behind bars for the rest of his life and "the world according to bauer" has slowly been crumbling before him over the last few hours.

Knowing his numbers up, it's only a matter of when, not if. There is no cure. No help is coming, and he and Tony are still underground.

Jack has seen Tony is on the same path he's at the end of, Tony may have lost Michelle, but he's still not as far gone as Jack is. Jack tries to pass on his wisdom, where he went wrong. After Teri died he needed the rollercoaster as a distraction - to keep his mind from the grief - and it's destroyed him. Tony has to grieve - not vent his anger the way he did when we was with Emmerson's crew. Only then will he be able to move on.

Jack has a favour to ask Tony. They both know what it'll be. Jack is staring straight at Tony, but Tony can barely look Jack in the eye.

"Tony ... make it quick"

Jack, no colour in his cheeks because of the bioweapon looks up, sees Tony tentatively 'agree', a vacant look on Jack's face turns to one of calm and relief as a weight is lifted from his shoulders.

Jack starts to slowly close his eyes in preparation.

Tony barely controls his emotions as he raises his arm. Cut to exterior shot, slowly pulling away as a dirty unwelcoming sun raises, in split screen we see a montage of Jack's years in service (a la last scene of series one) "I've tried to keep a wall been my marriage and my work, but now that wall is crumbling" Jack's past words narrate the images of his sacrifices and crimes.

Jacks coughing ends the sequence as we hear him tell Tony, "Don't repeat anymore of my mistakes than you have to .... Brother"

A single gun shot is heard.

Cut to black.

put your hands in your pockets looked away : andsmiled.com : blog

#3 2009-04-01 08:28:47

24nut
Website

After watching this episode twice now, i feel im in a better position to now comment on it, Jack is infected, something is telling me that there are two ways this could go, Jack slowly dies, so he will be in the rest of season 7 and 8. Now season 8 is held just 6 weeks after season 7 and is said to be linked to season 7.

Now im sure because Jack is infected by the bioweapon then he wouldn't last 6 more weeks right, it took just a few hours for Mason to die, i know different strains of bioweapons will alter the rate in which death occurs.

I can see there being a cure, or an antidote, but only enough for one person, what if Tony got infected aswell and Jack and Tony manage to retrieve the antidote from Hodges and then Jack forces Tony to use the antidote, Jack starts to explain that his time is up and that he has nothing else to live for, but Tony isn't having any of it. A situation like this i could see going two ways, either Tony pulls a gun to his head and kills himself in order to save Jack, that way to Tony ensures that Jack uses the antidote.  Or we hear a gun shot but we dont know which one killed themselves.

Thats just me being speculative on a possible ending, i am unsure whether Tony will die, its not looking good at the moment, i was more certain that he would come back from the dead in season 5 than i am about this.

An ending that i would like is Jack losing Kim, somehow she dies and Jack becomes distraught, his anger shows and Jack goes on a rampage to kill the person responsible, be it Hodges or whoever. Imagine it, Kim dies and Jack dashes out from wheer he and Tony are taking cover, Tony stays where he is providing Jack with cover whilst Jack runs into the fray wielding two handguns (similar to the season 1 finale, only this time he has lost kim). Jack kills those reponsible and he breaksdown on the floor, Tony rushes over and grabs Jack, who at first fights Tony off and then accepts it. Then in another scene as Tony is walking Jack out of a building and as they walk arround a corridor walkway, there standing is Charles Logan. It would be such a great ending.

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#4 2009-04-01 12:15:59

J_A
Administrator
Website

well, I would definitely bet everyone a cup of coffee that the season's ending will involve these three people being caught up in a personal drama of some sorts. I can see either of them dying - of course, we know Jack won't die just yet, but i quite like the idea of him dying from the prion disease (slight spoiler in advance, not sure if the prions have been mentioned in ep 15) into season 8. however, if jack's doomed to death anyway, I would hate to see tony die to buy jack a few more weeks of life...

one thing I'm sure of is that whatever comes up, it'll be a great, gut-wrenching kind of ending, the likes of season 1... I just really, really don't want to watch tony die again... although I'm starting to prepare myself for it. but knowing in advance that and how he'd die in season 5 didn't stop me from being so sad and angered at it either...

tony.jpg

"Yeah, I didn't wanna believe Tony Almeida was a terrorist either, but at some point we just have to deal with the facts. Not with what we want to believe is true."

You need to start living in the real world! Because every second you help the government you're spittin' on Teri's grave!

#5 2009-04-01 20:21:04

24nut
Website

I think it would be cool to have Jack slowly dying, yet he is still active, much like the end of Season 2 after the damage to his heart.

*edited by J_A. Language police capt'n

"Please, as someone who was once your friend, let me die in peace" - Jack Bauer [Season 7]

#6 2009-04-02 00:30:50

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah they're probably going for that, except this time it would be terminal.

tony.jpg

#7 2009-04-02 22:54:53

24nut
Website

You know whats bothering me quite a bit, no mention of Bill's death to Tony, even if it happened off air and Tony knows then why hasn't there been a scene or at least a mention of it. A small mention could have been in the scene in which Jack is about to shoot Stokes henchman and Tony tries to pursuade him otherwise.

Tony and Bill were friends, just seems that they missed a chance for a brilliant scene between Jack and Tony.

Last edited by 24nut (2009-04-02 22:55:05)

#8 2009-04-03 12:17:42

J_A
Administrator
Website

true. but maybe jack chose not to tell tony so that tony would stay focused? however, there's also been no chloe lately, and when she finds out, she's going to be pretty sad, too. so maybe they're saving it to let both tony and chloe know what happened at the same time? i don't know.

tony.jpg

#9 2009-04-03 21:57:31

24nut
Website

i think Chloe didn't find out because Mary Lynne was pregnant at the time so i think she got left out for that reason.

#10 2009-04-03 22:18:10

J_A
Administrator
Website

there could have been at least a mention of "let chloe know" or "get chloe on the line" and then do it "off screen". but yeah, might have been that.

tony.jpg

#11 2009-04-03 22:24:35

24nut
Website

hmm, well i guess we will find out in the next couple of weeks, i must say i have really gone back to the stage where i cant wait between episodes, season 6 didn't do that for me, but now 24 is back to how it used to be and its like a drug, the perfect drug.

#12 2009-04-03 22:48:17

J_A
Administrator
Website

yeah i have to agree with that. they've definitely got my 24oin back into my veins

tony.jpg

Board footer